Oscar Hernández, leader of the Spanish Harlem Orchestra and former pianist and musical director for Rubén Blades, is a New York soul now making his home in Los Angeles. “I got divorced and I got remarried,” Hernández said. “And my wife was living here, so I was kind of at a crossroads in my life … Read more
What We AreTrading Posts is the Autry’s conversation with the public – members, museum-goers, history buffs and art mavens of all stripes – about the collections, people and events that contribute to the complex story of the West.
- The "Bonanza" Map: A Fictitious Place With Very Real Staying Power
- A "Burning Controversy" Around the Bonanza Map
- Tere Romo and a Seven-Year Quest for Art Along the Hyphen
- East Meets The West as Chinese Painters Embrace a Region and an Idea
- John Bradley on American Indian Culture: Learn Everything
- Mona Simpson Negotiates the Nanny Chronicles in "My Hollywood"
- My Dad, Mr. Wyoming
- Robert Temple Ayres, Creator of the Original Ponderosa Map on "Bonanza"
- Michael Jackson: All This and the T-Shirt, Too
- A Welcome Mat to View Some Very Special Scraps of Cloth
TagsAfro-Latin music basketry Bonanza Brokeback Mountain California history charanga Charles Fletcher Lummis Chicano Chicano art Chitimacha Cuban music Day of the Dead Earth Day history history of technology Hollywood Hopi immigrant immigration Latin American Latin music LGBT Los Angeles music scene Los Angeles salsa scene Mexican Mexican American Mexico Miwok muralists Native American Native American art Navajo Paiute Pan-Indianism partisan politics salsa salsa dancing salsa music singing cowboys Siqueiros son Southwest Museum weaving and weavers Women of the West Zuni
- We have a poet in our midst! Docent Suzanne Lummis is recognized for her beautiful work in Cultural Weekly: bit.ly/14T8Wbu #poetry 1 day ago
- Here's a sneak peak of Art of the West, open 6/15: bit.ly/18d5zAH - Follow @autrydesign on IG for more behind-the-scenes! 1 day ago
- RT @LA_autry: A rare Mexican comic book, a local educator and illustrator - and a mystery! Our latest blog: bit.ly/10pYPrM 2 days ago
- @WRHotDogs Looks delicious! Our Farmers Market is put on by @LACityFarm, lacityfarm.com :) 2 days ago
- LA at leading edge of Jewish life partly b/c of culture of people coming to LA to realize dreams, according to Rabbi Brous #IKAR #JLAM. 2 days ago