Johnny Polanco wears the beads of several orishas, the deities of his santería religion, around his neck when he goes onstage to play salsa music with his Conjunto Amistad. There are the red and white beads of Changó, the ruler of thunder, drums and dance, but he also wears the colors of Orula, Elegguá, Obbatalá, … Read more
What We AreTrading Posts is the Autry’s conversation with the public – members, museum-goers, history buffs and art mavens of all stripes – about the collections, people and events that contribute to the complex story of the West.
- The "Bonanza" Map: A Fictitious Place With Very Real Staying Power
- A "Burning Controversy" Around the Bonanza Map
- The New Colt Gallery: The Return of the Gatling Gun
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours at the Southwest Museum Allow a Peek at Conservation Effort
- Robert Temple Ayres, Creator of the Original Ponderosa Map on "Bonanza"
- The Autry Welcomes Back Thomas Moran's "Mountain of the Holy Cross"
- John Bradley on American Indian Culture: Learn Everything
- East Meets The West as Chinese Painters Embrace a Region and an Idea
- Buck Brannaman, the Real Horse Whisperer
- The New Colt Gallery: The Care and Feeding of Historic Guns
TagsAfro-Latin music basketry Bonanza Brokeback Mountain California history charanga Charles Fletcher Lummis Chicano Chicano art Chitimacha Cuban music Day of the Dead Earth Day history history of technology Hollywood Hopi immigrant immigration Latin American Latin music LGBT Los Angeles music scene Los Angeles salsa scene Mexican Mexican American Mexico Miwok muralists Native American Native American art Navajo Paiute Pan-Indianism partisan politics salsa salsa dancing salsa music singing cowboys Siqueiros son Southwest Museum weaving and weavers Women of the West Zuni
- Our Summer Solstice celebration is this Friday night & we have a special deal for our soc media fans! Join us: facebook.com/events/4734613… 11 hours ago
- RT @LoreProduction: Summer Solstice at @TheAutry is this Friday! Xocoyote, a celebrated LA Aztec group will be joining us. http://t.co/aWhU… 2 days ago
- RT @KCET: Explore the Art Of the West with Frederic Remington, Georgia O'Keeffe, David Levinthal and others @TheAutry: http://t.co/BwZQJzH7… 2 days ago
- Virgil Ortiz discusses his movie script and desire to educate public re Pueblo revolt. 4 days ago
- Virgil Ortiz talks re process of making art (picking and boiling wild spinach is first step), vessel as canvas, and the influence of clubs. 4 days ago