It’s true that Cinco de Mayo is more popular and more celebrated in California than in Mexico, where the Battle of Puebla that it commemorates actually took place. But contrary to popular belief, that is not because of U.S. Latinos’ flimsy grasp of history, says David Hayes-Bautista. In fact, it’s just the opposite. Hayes-Bautista, an … Read more
What We AreTrading Posts is the Autry’s conversation with the public – members, museum-goers, history buffs and art mavens of all stripes – about the collections, people and events that contribute to the complex story of the West.
- The "Bonanza" Map: A Fictitious Place With Very Real Staying Power
- A "Burning Controversy" Around the Bonanza Map
- George Sanchez: Disentangling Mexican-American Identity
- Tere Romo and a Seven-Year Quest for Art Along the Hyphen
- Decoding Punishment: the Prison System in California
- Richard and Jared Chavez's Work Becomes a Family Tradition
- East Meets The West as Chinese Painters Embrace a Region and an Idea
- Robert Temple Ayres, Creator of the Original Ponderosa Map on "Bonanza"
- What Makes a Picture Worth $200 Million?
- Los Angeles Muralists React to MOCA Controversy
TagsAfro-Latin music basketry Bonanza Brokeback Mountain California history charanga Charles Fletcher Lummis Chicano Chicano art Chitimacha Cuban music Day of the Dead Earth Day history history of technology Hollywood Hopi immigrant immigration Latin American Latin music LGBT Los Angeles music scene Los Angeles salsa scene Mexican Mexican American Mexico Miwok muralists Native American Native American art Navajo Paiute Pan-Indianism partisan politics salsa salsa dancing salsa music singing cowboys Siqueiros son Southwest Museum weaving and weavers Women of the West Zuni
- @artsmeme writes about "Which Way (Jewish) LA?" #free program tmw at 7pm on the future of Jewish culture in #LA bit.ly/11WBVyr #JLAM 4 hours ago
- RT @sagaftra: See a piece of history! Max Factor’s Scroll of Fame @TheAutry thru 1/2014. theautry.org/press/jews-in-… http://t.co/59HYgfuduZ 1 day ago
- Latin Jazz Sunday with @CSULA. Full house, fantastic music, impressive dancing. #salsa 2 days ago
- Steven Ross @USC shares fascinating history of Jews in LA foiling Nazi sabotage and plots against US. #JLAM 2 days ago
- Sarah Schrank #CSULB on Schaeffer's whitewashed mural at what is now #cityofhope. He said murals "should be as powerful as symphony." #JLAM 2 days ago