California Senator Carol Liu, who is Chinese-American, acknowledges her father and grandfather did not have to endure the ordeal of thousands of Asians and Pacific Islanders who entered the United States through Angel Island in the first half of the twentieth century. But as one in a long line of scholars, she shares those immigrants’ … Read more
What We AreTrading Posts is the Autry’s conversation with the public – members, museum-goers, history buffs and art mavens of all stripes – about the collections, people and events that contribute to the complex story of the West.
- The "Bonanza" Map: A Fictitious Place With Very Real Staying Power
- A "Burning Controversy" Around the Bonanza Map
- East Meets The West as Chinese Painters Embrace a Region and an Idea
- Decoding Punishment: the Prison System in California
- Deborah Sussman's Unlikely Muse
- Sandy Torres Finds Escaramuza Both a Tough and Ladylike Way to Do Rodeo
- Mona Simpson Negotiates the Nanny Chronicles in "My Hollywood"
- The New Colt Gallery: The Return of the Gatling Gun
- David Alfaro Siqueiros: Keeping the Faith in a Master
- Robert Temple Ayres, Creator of the Original Ponderosa Map on "Bonanza"
TagsAfro-Latin music basketry Bonanza Brokeback Mountain California history charanga Charles Fletcher Lummis Chicano Chicano art Chitimacha Cuban music Day of the Dead Earth Day history history of technology Hollywood Hopi immigrant immigration Latin American Latin music LGBT Los Angeles music scene Los Angeles salsa scene Mexican Mexican American Mexico Miwok muralists Native American Native American art Navajo Paiute Pan-Indianism partisan politics salsa salsa dancing salsa music singing cowboys Siqueiros son Southwest Museum weaving and weavers Women of the West Zuni
- Rob Eshman@JewishJournal discussing significance of mayoral race and election of Garcetti live with David Myers@UCLA. #JLAM 18 minutes ago
- RT @ForYourArt: Legacies and Prospects: Which Way (Jewish) L.A.? Panel discussion @TheAutry, free tonight 7pm @kcrw ow.ly/liq7p 6 hours ago
- @artsmeme writes about "Which Way (Jewish) LA?" #free program tmw at 7pm on the future of Jewish culture in #LA bit.ly/11WBVyr #JLAM 1 day ago
- RT @sagaftra: See a piece of history! Max Factor’s Scroll of Fame @TheAutry thru 1/2014. theautry.org/press/jews-in-… http://t.co/59HYgfuduZ 2 days ago
- Latin Jazz Sunday with @CSULA. Full house, fantastic music, impressive dancing. #salsa 2 days ago